Friday, April 30, 2010

So many connections!

Ok...so a few of us are talking about our assignments and talking about John Synge whom we are currently reading. Gosh do I wish I had a way to put up some of my pictures right now! The reason being, and because we were talking about Synge, we're also talking about our trip out to the West of Ireland; specifically the Aran Islands. I know also that in one of my previous blogs I mentioned how many of the writers we have been studying have also traveled a lot and Synge was indeed one of them. We had mentioned in class that throughout his travels, he met William Butler Yeats while he was in Paris. It was there that he was encouraged to go back and live on the Aran Islands to get a better grasp on his own work. Sure enough we know that John Synge did indeed follow through with this encouragement and we (the students who have been talking about our own trip) feel like we too have experienced a little of what John Synge did himself. The Aran Islands must have been pretty desolate at the time Synge lived there and I absolutely can see how he would have had much time to spend with his creative thoughts. I also found it interesting after looking further into John Synge and his works that for his 'book-length journal' called The Aran Islands it was Jack Yeats who had done some of the illustrations; who I know I mentioned a little bit about him in a previous entry regarding some of my time in Dublin. Everything just seems so interrelated...

No comments:

Post a Comment