Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy St. Patricks Day!

I am so unbelievably grateful to be able to say I spent this St. Pats day in Dungarvan Ireland! It started with of course...some photographs; but shortly after we went to the beautiful cathedral in town for Mass. Where in fact, I did the second reading! Mass was actually very different for me (and I am sure everyone else), it was all in Irish and the many people who attended mostly responded in only Irish, I loved it. Soon after mass though was the infamous Dungarvan parade. First...I may never be able to say again that I was a part of the St. Patricks Day parade in Ireland, it was something! We all had on our green 'Mercyhurst' shirts and had both American and Irish flags and wore just flattering head-bands with bouncy shamrocks! What was even more surprising is that when we entered the town square they announced our group but then had us up on stage so that we could watch the rest of the parade...it was LONG! I mean it was a great parade but wow, for such a small town I was impressed. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the parade. Not so much because of how amazing and memorable it was, but more so because it really gave me an idea and a look into their culture. The parade presented all age groups, from very, very young athletic teams to all of the areas surrounding community centers with all of the elderly; it was wonderful! And truly, the elderly friends in the parade were the most exciting! The parade also presented all of the local businesses and workers, etc...It just made me see and get a feel for how much they appreciate these things here. After the parade they had a great reception and then we were on our own to discover the festivities...
Being surrounded by this true Irish environment is something special and being able to experience the holiday here was undoubtedly a treat. It certainly is different from home...
I know I will have much more to write about but I had to conclude the day with a quick recap before I rest my head. Saint Patrick is quite loved...

No comments:

Post a Comment