Thursday, March 18, 2010
Swans...
This will not be along post; but I have just finished reading Yeats and absolutely loved the first poem, "The Wild Swans at Coole." After initially reading it I went back to read it again...I understand why he used swans in the poem but knew there was much more. I believe it had to do with time passing clearly as he discusses that nineteen years have passed, but he also stresses how much has changed with him and nothing with the beautiful swans. The reason I really liked this is because upon arriving in Ireland, I have seen more swans than ever before; and they are magnificent. One thing I remember thinking to myself on the bus when I saw them on the water one of the first times was that they were indeed swimming in pairs. Yeats describes this too, as they swim with their loved ones. There really is no special revelation I had I just wanted to note how nice it was to picture this poem as I read it. I am curious though with regard to Yeats describing there only being fifty-nine swans...if they swim in pairs one must have been alone. I know there is a lot more to get out of this writing I just thoroughly enjoyed it having it been my first time reading this poetry!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment