Wednesday, May 12, 2010
It has come...
Last night was our reception we held for all who have been a part of making this first "Mercyhurst in Ireland" trip be a success; and it went very well. This also means now that our time here is indeed ending, and today is the day to pack our things. last night at the reception, when I was hearing mostly Dr. Hosey, the other professors, and our remarkable friends from Ireland speak, it hit me that words truly, truly could not express the gratitude I was feeling; it honestly overwhelmed me (and I will admit, brought me to the brink of tears). I could have never, with my heart and imagination both working there hardest, I could have never dreamed of a more rewarding ten weeks of my life. Spending my last term of my undergraduate career in Ireland, and making the friends I have, and connecting with other students, creating lasting frienships with professors (and their families for some), seeing what I have seen, meeting my distant family in Ireland and making this incredible country a home away from home has changed my life. I can only imagine what it will be like to be home in a few days (seeing how the oh so surprising volcano has the ability to quickly change our plans) and think back on this trip as a memory. I don't even like mentioning that seeing as I am still here, sitting in my Park Hotel townhouse; but it will be so rich to have the memories I have, and 'rich' is exactly the word I am looking for, this trip is priceless. I am not sad to go; in fact I truly am excited to come back. I'm sure once the actual 'see ya laters' come it might get a little mushy; but truly it is only because I will a 'homesickness' will hit me once I'm on the plane heading to the States. I have family here; real family...but also friends in Dungarvan who I know I will see again. I could go on for hours about how this changed my life or the lessons I've learned or how forever grateful I will be; but this is not meant to sound like a 'good-bye' post. I will write again about Ireland sometime, while on my next journey here...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment