Monday, May 10, 2010

Tending Bar!!

I can officially check off of my 'list,' that I have bartended in Ireland. In highschool, my friend Kristen and I made, or started I should say, a list of things that we hope to accomplish in our lives. I will never forget sitting in her kitchen writing down that I will bartend at some point in Ireland. Shockingly...and to my surprise, I worked last night at the Anchor. I truly had one of the most entertaining nights yet while there! It must be a combination of making some incredible memories while knowing I was actually accomplishing more on 'my list.' When I first got there I had no clue what I was doing. I felt like I was in the way! Thank goodness it wasn't busy yet! A young girl, she was twenty-eight and from Hungary unforunately was stuck showing me the ropes! By the end of the night we had a blast together though. My favorite part of the night though was before it had gotten busy...I literally had been behind the counter for maybe three minutes when someone walked in and 'Timmy' - Tamara I believe my friends full name was, told me to take the customer with her thick accent (haha), I'm laughing because I was not expected just to be thrown in without knowing anything or even how to use the cash machine! Anyway, he asked for a pint a of Heineken and I was to serve! So I undoubtedly was not a pro when pouring my first pint. It was clear I was a 'newbie!' There were five young gentleman (I guess I could call them), more like Irish lads, sitting right on the other side of the counter from me. They had a blast seeing I had no idea what I was doing. After a few minutes though and few more pints I poured, they sat and told me what to as I poured each pint and within five minutes I had it down like I'd been doing it my whole life! Timmy was laughing thinking they were a bother but I told her they were actually helping! Things started to pick up eventually and I really had a good time. The hardest part was the cash machine, and understanding the Irish accents! Otherwise, there were only a few times where I didn't know the actual drink being ordered. I truly had a blast and they even said I could come in for some more hours if I wanted before I leave Thursday. I had great craic at the Anchor!

No comments:

Post a Comment